Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lady in receiving


Magritte has based this sculpture on his painting, a piece housed at the Hirshorn...an exaggeration of the female form, foreshortened...stepped, like nesting dolls, she is repeated in a beautiful, simple way...fragmented...the bronze form is realistic, broken down to create a sense of unease...How he plays with that which is there and that which is imagined, the sculpture creates a unique world...a space where what we conceive is not what we receive...

I have to say this quick comment...this really go under my skin and I thought it might help to share. Going to the Library of Congress this week...I heard our docent say something startling, but it finally clicked...why do we care so little about art and artists in the US? She said all the painting and carving was done for free and she had the nerve to say that these artists were just happy to have their work placed in such a prestigious place...I thought, this is crap! We continue to place no value on what artists do...I would like to go up to my accountant and say, can you just do my taxes for free? You should be honored to complete my taxes because I am such a great person! I don't think so!!!What we value, is those works of art that have not been completed...success...yet we care nothing for the process and training needed to make great artists...This is the reason I started this blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment