- What happened to having a background in art? Is there some stigma with actually using that space? When did it become taboo to consider the atmosphere around the central character???
- When did it become high fashion to do a copy of a copy of a copy of a tattoo that was a cartoon character???
- How did drawing from something other than a photograph become a sin???
- Was appropriation of an image always steeling or is it that artists today seem to be taking most of another artists image instead of thinking of something on their own???
- Why is it that dealers and artists think it's practical to piss off the actual people who love visual art and then wonder why no one is buying?
- What happened to art history???
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Not my usual post
Okay, this isn't the usual post format...an artist, an analysis...but I have been seeing some patterns in current artists and their work that seem a bit disturbing. I like my comments to be positive and hopefully insightful, but as in the minds of all educators and evaluators, criticism creeps in...And I despise the role of the critique, not for their "insight" into the works but for the self-absorption and personal "flair." And for some reason many media outlets have taken on this "entertainment in a news wrapper" format...but I digress...here are some quick bullet points and rhetorical questions that I have pondered over the last several months...