Thursday, May 14, 2009

The storms are coming...


The process can start many different ways, via conceptual inklings, formal placement concerns or evolving out of a love with materials...I tend to begin and push based on the idea, the thoughts persistently driving in my brain...the image that will not go away, that is so persistent it has to be revealed and realized...the context can be in may forms, often it is a container...a three-dimensional object that can be manipulated and enjoyed through touch...this too is conceptual in nature...the forms remove themselves from the traditional separation of "Artist," with a capital "A" and "Viewer," with a capital "V." Alluding to the Arts & Craft movement, but with a darker side...these explorations grow out of historical contexts and knowledge beyond the craft...but are essential, for me, in the making of the object....exploring my obsessions...this particular piece came about due to my anxiety regarding Hurricanes and my new found home, right in the path of several...being from Chicago, I was only aware in a peripheral way...the thoughts and obsession to control the situation, being out of control, brought the storm inside the house, inside to reek havoc and stress...contained and unable to escape...we couldn't avoid the outside, nor the inside...trapped like anxious rats...I so wanted to the doors to fly open and allow us to escape and in the same breath, it was my worse fear...interior and exterior become one...

No comments:

Post a Comment